Towing a caravan
Before towing a caravan there’s a few things you need to have ready…
- Make sure you have the correct driving licence and that your insurance company is aware you will be towing a caravan. To learn more about this read our FAQ’s.
- You must display the same registration as your vehicle on the caravan. When booking with us, we will have the registration plate with your details ready at time of collection.
- Make sure that your vehicle is suitable for towing a caravan. For advice on the legal maximum towing weight allowed, check the details on the RSA website.
- Check that your tow bar is attached securely.
- Make sure that your side mirrors and extension mirrors allow you to see down both sides of the caravan.
- Ensure your tyres are in good condition.
- Allow plenty of time before heading off, remember that the legal speed limits are lower when towing a caravan.
- Make sure everything in the caravan has a secure place to avoid damage to items during transit.
- Make sure all windows and doors are securely closed.
Once on the road, here are a few things to keep in mind when towing…
- Drive slowly, both for legal reasons, and to avoid the caravan from swaying.
- Always be aware that the caravan will be wider than your vehicle and allow for that when parking and turning corners.
- Be very careful if overtaking. Don’t take any chances, you won’t be able to speed up the same with the caravan and your overall length will be a lot more.
- Where possible, let cars behind overtake you. They do not have to drive at the same slow speed.
- Leave extra space between your car and the vehicle in front.
- Hopefully you won’t have this issue, but if the caravan does sway, avoid slamming on the brakes. Stay calm and ease on the brakes to regain control.
- Be extra vigilant if driving in adverse weather conditions.
Now you know what to expect when towing, take a look through the caravans we have for hire. Book today and get ready to make lasting memories.